Zalo DS Blog

Monday, November 13, 2006

4 days working on fixed point for nothing!! XD

Wow, it's been a long time. A week, I think... XD I was supposed to have a game by this date but the real truth is that I have nothing

It's not that I haven't been working on it. I have spent a lot of time in the past 4 days (I have been on a little vacation) working with the DS. But now I have that felling that I have completely wasted my time. Why? Well, I have been working on a fixed point class for the DS. Really... is it a secret or something? Why nobody in the forums said anything about that... LIBNDS HAS SUPPORT FOR FIXED POINT!!! Why nobody talk about that NDS HAS HARDWARE SUPPORT FOR SQRT or even thought NDS is a 32 bit machine IT HAS SUPPORT FOR DIV, MUL AND SQTR 64 BITS!!!!!!!!!!

Weel, as always... I've learnt the things the hard way... haha. Well, at less it has been worth remenbering how Newton's method works for sqrt works XD. And I understand how hard is to work without floating points (really).

From now on, my first point of reference is going to be the ndslib headers. But I see something that I don't like very much; mulf32, div32 and all others has a while(...); And not only that, the methods for normalization and sqrt can be improved to be more accurate.

If you like more info about all this stuff you can check here and also in math.h from ndslib

Well, now I thinh that I can finish my fixed point class (I am not using f32, because in c++ I prefer a new type and operators overloading... maybe it is a little slower, but looks better :P). So, lets go!

1 Comments:

  • Actually there is some information about this topic in the old ndslib (today libNDS) documentation. The documentation is outdated, but should still apply

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at November 15, 2006 9:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home