Zalo DS Blog

Monday, October 25, 2010

Jumping Jack in 3D



Have you ever stopped to think about the first videogame you ever played? I know there are hundreds of people out there answering that it is Super Mario Bros, Tetris or any other famous one. For me it is different. It has to be one of those stored in a cassete for our old ZX Spectrum 128k (wow!) I remember myself like 22 or something like that years ago entering into my old brother's room that January 6th, sitting there and playing it... for the first time. It is hard to believe that I still spend some time playing it in some emulators :)

So.. I looked for a remake. Althought I found some games based on it there wasn't any that keeped me entertained enought so I decided to do my own one :P. It started as a very easy task but then I realize I had to model the 10 hazards (oh... it is in 3d, sorry about that ^_^UU) and animate the main character.... bla, bla

Anyway, here it is! You can find it in the download section as usual or just after this paragraph. I hope you enjoy it as much as I am doing and if you have any suggestions don't hesitate to send them
PC version
WII version

PS: oh... yes... the DS version... I am sorry to say that the poor DS is not capable of moving the game well enought beyond the 5th level, so I decided not to publish it :( I would need a new set of graphics and I am not really sure I want to do that ^_^U

17 Comments:

  • it's 0.9 or 1.0 ? the xml say 0.9 but on wiibrew you 've write 1.0 !

    By Anonymous Cid2mizard, at November 02, 2010 8:41 AM  

  • ups! I should correct that
    Thanks. It is 0.9

    By Blogger Zalo, at November 02, 2010 10:03 AM  

  • Really nice old school game. It would be fun if we could play it with our Mii's. Not that I think every game should be played with a Mii, but this game would be a good candidate.
    Thanks for the game.

    By Anonymous DrWho198, at November 03, 2010 1:41 AM  

  • Thaks
    I agree with the idea about the Mii's. Problem is that the current version of the libogc doesn't suppot them... as far as I know :(

    By Blogger Zalo, at November 03, 2010 11:49 AM  

  • You probably know about this already but you might take a look at this:

    http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Libmii

    I have no idea if it is in any way compatible with your code and if it is easy to use but you could always take a look.

    By Anonymous DrWho198, at November 03, 2010 8:02 PM  

  • edit:

    Apparently that code only deals with reading the mii data and rendering a 2D image of them. Unless someone knows how to read the original meshes you would need to make your own meshes for every hairstyle and beard to make a 3D mii. Sorry

    By Anonymous DrWho198, at November 06, 2010 12:46 AM  

  • Yes, I was taking a look at it the other day.
    It could be an interesting project allowing all us to use the Miis into our homebrews.
    Any idea if the meshes can be ripped from an emulator like dolphin? I've seen some meshes from other games like Zelda but I don't know how they extracted them

    By Blogger Zalo, at November 06, 2010 2:45 PM  

  • I have no idea if the meshes are stored in the games or in the FW but I'll have a look with the tools I have. The only problem is that I don't know if there will be problems with the copyright.

    By Anonymous DrWho198, at November 08, 2010 6:47 PM  

  • I have been able to rip the models using 3dripper and dolphin :)

    By Blogger Zalo, at November 08, 2010 10:49 PM  

  • Funny, I was doing the exact same thing and was just about to inform you about it.

    I noticed some interesting things like the fact that the facial textures ain't actually placed on the head mesh but on a few flat meshes that are in front of the face. I'm not good with 3D programs but if you need a little help in ripping meshes then I might try if you tell me exactly what you need, and how to give them to you.

    I'm still looking for a way to create MIIs on dolphin since I can't find a wad of the MII channel that works on Dolphin.

    By Anonymous DrWho198, at November 09, 2010 1:34 AM  

  • I forgot to mention, I also tried to find the Mii meshes on the disc itself, but didn't find them(or couldn't extract them) so far.

    By Anonymous DrWho198, at November 09, 2010 1:36 AM  

  • I have the Mii channel and it is working. I am now adding render to texture to my engine in order to be able to render the mii's faces.
    Can you send me your msn or gtalk so we can chat? :)

    By Blogger Zalo, at November 09, 2010 2:08 PM  

  • I've mailed you on the email account that is linked to this blog. However chatting on a messenger will be hard.

    By Anonymous DrWho198, at November 10, 2010 1:04 AM  

  • I just mailed you but I'm not sure if you'll receive the mail since my mail client is acting up and crashing. the title should read "Fwd: My progress".

    By Anonymous DrWho198, at November 11, 2010 1:04 AM  

  • In Jumping Jack, the top and bottom of the screen are cut off. It makes it impossible to win, because I can't even see the top bar.

    I use an NTSC LCD TV with Component cables.

    Game looks fun otherwise.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at November 15, 2010 2:11 AM  

  • I am also having an issue with the screen size. I use an NTSC Widescreen LCD TV with composite cables. Perhaps adding settings that allow you to change screen size would remedy this?

    By Blogger Aspfkaspgk, at December 13, 2010 10:54 PM  

  • Yes, I know... it's that problem again with widescreen tvs. I'll upload a new version soon fixing the problem

    By Blogger Zalo, at December 13, 2010 11:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home